I had a similar problem when running a spring web application in an Eclipse managed tomcat. I solved this problem by adding maven dependencies in the project’s web deployment assembly.
- Open the project’s properties (e.g., right-click on the project’s name in the project explorer and select “Properties”).
- Select “Deployment Assembly”.
- Click the “Add…” button on the right margin.
- Select “Java Build Path Entries” from the menu of Directive Type and click “Next”.
- Select “Maven Dependencies” from the Java Build Path Entries menu and click “Finish”.
You should see “Maven Dependencies” added to the Web Deployment Assembly definition.